Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Charlotte's Rose

Charlotte's RoseCharlotte's Rose by A.E. Cannon

AR Reading Level: 4.1
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Charlotte Edwards is a 13-year old Mormon convert from Wales, traveling with her father to Salt Lake in 1856. On the way, a woman from their company gives birth to a little girl and dies shortly thereafter. The husband, stricken by grief, refuses to care for the daughter. So Charlotte steps forward and decides that she will carry the baby she names Rose to Zion herself.

I really liked how this historical fiction novel was told from the perspective of a teenager because it's not a view I've often come across when reading about pioneers. Charlotte's story is sweet and I liked her spunky attitude. One thing that bothered me is that we are told that Charlotte cannot read nor write, and yet the book is told in diary form. But I like that this book that teaches courage and determination and it's one I'm happy for my daughter to read.

Oh and I learned that A.E. Cannon is the daughter of LaVell Edwards reading this book!

Source: Purchased

1 comment:

Gerbera Daisy Diaries said...

I've known Ann since, well, forever, and have never read any of her books...isn't that embarrasing? I looked for this at our library...but we don't have any of her books....guess 'cause I'm not in Utah.