Monday, April 26, 2010

Everyone Is Beautiful

Everyone Is Beautiful: A Novel Everyone Is Beautiful: A Novel by Katherine Center

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Lainie Coates has just moved to Boston from Houston with her husband and three boys so her musician husband can attend grad school. Her kids are ages 4 and under and Lainie feels like she's drowning in her own life. They  live in a small apartment with no yard and a cranky witch lives downstairs.

Lonely, and with little financial resources, Lainie quickly realizes she needs to make some changes in her life to be happier. She joins a gym to help what she views as problems on the outside, and she also enrolls in a photography class at the Harvard Extension to help her develop an artistic passion outside of the home. But she doesn't necessarily think about how those changes will affect those she loves most.

This is definitely a solid mommy lit book. There seemed to be a couple of structural glitches (at one point she took two showers in the morning, but I don't think it was intended to be written that way) and the first person narrative didn't quite work for some of the insights the author wanted the reader to have. But there were some very funny parts dealing with the mischief the boys could get into and some poignant moments between husband and wife that I found very moving. I think book clubs would probably enjoy discussing this one.

Also reviewed by:
Did I miss yours? 

Book 36 of 100 for the 100+ Reading Challenge, Book 23 of 50 for the New Author Challenge, Book 17 of 50 for the RYOB Challenge 

Source: BookMooch

2 comments:

Gerbera Daisy Diaries said...

Thanks for the review. I have this on my Goodreads list. Not sure I need to pursue it.

bermudaonion said...

I think I would enjoy this one too. I don't mind "mommy lit" from time to time.