Saturday, October 24, 2009

Shooting the Moon

Shooting the Moon Shooting the Moon by Frances O'Roark Dowell

Book 39 of 50 for the New Author Challenge
Book 9 of 55 for the Countdown Challenge (2008)
Book 5 of 25 for the MG Book Challenge
Awards: Boston Globe/Horn Book Award/Honors; Christopher Award; Kirkus Editors Choice


My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Jamie Dexter is a 12 year old army brat who lives in North Carolina. As soon as her brother turns 18, he enlists as a medic in Vietnam. Jamie's father, the Colonel, is not at all happy about TJ's decision which shocks both brother and sister since they had been taught loyalty to country and the military their entire lives.

Instead of letters, Jamie's brother TJ only sends her home rolls of film to develop. With the help of one of the men on the base, Jamie learns how to develop the film. In the process, she realizes that her brother is communicating with her, just not through words.

This book is simple yet deep. It is incredibly well-written and surprisingly moving. Highly recommended for grade 5 and up. (And it is in your Scholastic book orders and book fair.)

Also reviewed by:
Did I miss yours?

Source: Purchased

3 comments:

Nise' said...

Sound like one I will have to add to my TBR pile. May you enjoy many more hours of reading pleasure.

Britt said...

This one looks really interesting. I've not seen a ton of books centering on Vietnam.

Tasha said...

I have had this galley on my shelf for a while. Your review has inspired me to try to read it soon.