Monday, August 10, 2009

When You Reach Me

When You Reach Me When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

Book 89 of 100 for the 100+ Reading Challenge
Book 21 of 50 for the New Author Challenge
Book 4 of 5 for the Book Awards III Reading Challenge

Awards & Praise: Kid's Indie Next List "Inspired Recommendations for Kids from Indie Booksellers" 2009; Amazon Best of the Month, July 2009; Starred Reviews from Kirkus, SLJ, Booklist, The Horn Book Magazine, Publisher's Weekly


My rating: 5 of 5 stars

So, I'm going to try and not let my gushing get too out of control. But I loved, loved, loved this book. Not only will it be a favorite for 2009, but probably an all-time favorite. It's a juvenile book, but don't let that deter you. Just go get it.

Miranda is a sixth grader growing up in New York City in the late 1970s. She's essentially a latchkey kid but she has savvy street smarts. Strange things have been happening to Miranda that have her unnerved. I don't want to say too much, but her worries have something to do with a missing key, mysterious notes, and a mentally-unstable man who stands on the corner.

This book was like an intricate puzzle. I couldn't see the whole picture as I was reading it, but as the final pieces went in, I was amazed by how it all looked. I even cried. I don't own this book, but I will soon. I can't wait to reread it, and I can't wait to share it with my kids. (End of gushing.)

I would recommend this book for 5th grade and up. The word 'hell' is used twice and it is a coming-of-age type story. In reality, the older you are reading it, I think the more you'll get out of it. But before you read it, it will help if you've read A Wrinkle in Time and watched at least one episode of The $20,000 Pyramid at some point during your life.

Also reviewed by:
Did I miss yours?

Source: Library

9 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Sounds like a wonderful book! I'll get it for my 12 year old.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Melissa said...

Just picked it up from the library... can't wait to read it!

bermudaonion said...

This one sounds wonderful! It sounds like a need to get my hands on a copy of it.

Jeanette said...

I have been checking my library catalog for this on a nearly daily basis. They finally have it in the catalog and I have a hold on it. Now I just have to wait for it to come in! I've heard such good things about it that I am tempted to just go out and buy it so I can get it read.

Tasha said...

Glad you enjoyed. I read this earlier this year as well, though I didn't review it.

Booklogged said...

Your gushing has sold me on this book. I'm ready to read it: I've read wrinkle in Time and seen Pyramid.

alisonwonderland said...

okay, okay. i've just put this on hold at the library. i'll definitely be reading it. thanks for the recommendation!

Jill said...

You got me before you even got to the description of the book. It's on my list - thanks!

Corinne said...

I keep hearing this is great, it's on my list:)