Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Two Mrs. Abbotts

The Two Mrs Abbotts The Two Mrs Abbotts by Dorothy Emily Stevenson

Book 75 of 100 for the 100+ Reading Challenge
Series: Book 3 of 3 (Miss Buncle)

rating: 4 of 5 stars

I wasn't planning on reading this one so soon. But, it turns out that my library system doesn't have this book and my mom's does. Since I'm currently on vacation at my mom's house I decided to take advantage of the chance to read this delightful book.

I was thoroughly engrossed in this authentic wartime story, which was both written and set during WWII. A number of years have passed since Miss Buncle Married, and the countryside has been impacted by the war. In Wandlebury, many men have enlisted, there is a regiment staying in town, the women are learning to make do on rations, and although it is still a happy place, there is an subtle fear of the Jerrys.

There were a lot of characters to keep track of, but I enjoyed getting to know characters from the previous novels even better. I felt like D.E. Stevenson was a little bolder and more feisty in her writing and I enjoyed the a cute romance. I'm sad that the series is technically over because I feel like I was left with a number of loose ends. I understand there is some crossover between this series and The Four Graces, so I will definitely be picking that one up, hoping for some resolution of a few things.

This is such a fun series and I recommend trying to get a hold of the books any way you can.

4 comments:

Anna said...

Thanks for bringing these books to my attention. I think I'd enjoy them. Would it be okay to link to your review on War Through the Generations?

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

bermudaonion said...

Sounds like a great book. Take advantage of the baby-sitting services at your mom's house to get in a little extra reading time!

The Reading Momster said...

Nice! I really didn't know anything about this series! now I will definitely look :)
thank you for the lovely review!

Tricia said...

Anna,
Sure thing! This book definitely is a look on the lighter side of things in dealing with the war, but there is a plot line dealing with a German spy in the neighborhood. You may also want to look into some of the other books by D.E. Stevenson written about the war period, including The Four Graces, to add to your reading list.
Thanks!!