Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Legend of the Lamp

Legend of the Lamp Legend of the Lamp by Tina Monson

rating: 3 of 5 stars

I don't read very much LDS (Latter-day Saint) fiction. Maybe one or two books a year. I haven't even read The Work and the Glory (Don't shoot!). But my sister picked this up for my daughter, so I wanted to have a little pre-read.

This is an late-juvenile/YA fiction adventure book about three teenagers looking for treasure on a church history tour. I've seen it compared to National Treasure for LDS kids, and that's probably an accurate assessment. If I were 13, I'd probably think it was fabulous. Which reminded me...

When I was 16 or so, I read one LDS book I loved...Fire Weed by Terry Montague. I'd love to find that one and read it again.

Anyway, this book is Volume 1 and Volume 2 is out as well. I would definitely recommend it for teens interested in early church history. If I were teaching Doctrine & Covenants in seminary, I might also be tempted to offer this one up for extra credit. It's fun, but you might also learn a few nuggets along the way. I didn't know about the Deseret alphabet until I read this book!

I don't think my daughter is ready for this book yet. It's definitely written for a slightly older crowd. Any LDS readers out there have a series they would recommend for 8-9 year olds?

You can check out the author website here.

2 comments:

Britt said...

Looks fun! I'll have to read it.

Hmmm... an 8 or 9 year old? I started the Work and the Glory when I was about 10. (I have to remind myself, though, that just because I read something at a certain age, doesn't mean that's the age it's recommended for!)

Everything I can think of is geared a few years older... sorry, I guess I'm no help.

Melissa said...

I haven't read The Work and the Glory either. Actually, I refuse to, on principle. So you're in good company. ;)