Monday, November 17, 2008

The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid

The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid: A Memoir The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid: A Memoir by Bill Bryson

rating:  3 of 5 stars

OK, so I probably would have given this book two stars except I did laugh out loud.

Numerous times.

Bill Bryson isn't kidding when he says from the get-go, "So this is a book about not very much." Basically, it is a book about growing up in Des Moines in the 1950s. Some of it was funny and interesting, and some of it just went on too long for me. Some parts seemed vaguely familiar from the other three books of his that I have read. But let's face it, I couldn't write one, let alone many books that would keep people remotely entertained about my own life.

This is my in-person book club's pick this month, and I'm sure it will be a good time re-living some of the classic moments from the book. I would definitely be interested to see what a contemporary of Bryson thinks of it.

Also reviewed by:

3 comments:

Ladytink_534 said...

Lol. I think I'll pass. The book trailer I watched for it was really kind of silly. Ooh! I bet my little brother might like this though.

Anonymous said...

It sounds funny!

Anonymous said...

It's been a while since I read this one, but I remember enjoying it. I thought Bryson was so right when he said we've let chains take all the individuality out of our towns and cities, and I think it's sad.