Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Miracle at Speedy Motors

Can you believe this is the ninth installment of The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency? I just love Precious Ramotswe and the supporting cast of characters in Alexander McCall Smith's series set in Botswana. There is nothing earth-shattering about these books. They are relaxing, enjoyable, and entertaining. I feel transported to another place when I'm reading, and yet despite the marked cultural differences, the problems that plague all of us are the same.

There are three or four main plotlines to this book. One thread revolves around the foster daughter, Motholeli. We get further development into the impending nuptials between Mma Makusti and Phudi Radiphuti. Mma Ramotswe is sent threatening letters. And of course, there is a case to be solved.

I highly recommend this series. It makes for great light reading. Has anyone read of any of his other books? I haven't and I'm dying to know if they are just as good.

4 comments:

Emilia said...

I absolutely adore his "44 Scotland St." series. It was a serial he did for a newspaper. At the end of each year or two, he makes them into a book. There are 3 so far.

I like the Sunday Philosophy Club, too...though in smaller doses. While reading the first one, I asked Todd if it was possible to be bored and engaged at the same time.

Not crazy about Portuguese Irregular Verbs series, but that may have been because I was listening to it instead of reading. I didn't care for the reader's voice.

Rae said...

Oy! His 9th book? I'm a bit behind!

I read the first book in the "Sunday Philosophy Club" series. I was not impressed and could not get into the story. I actually did not realize there were others until I read Emilia's comment. I'll put them on my list of "Books to Check Out".

Lisa R.D. said...

I loved the first few in this series and have wanted to finish it up! At the library the other day I was ready to check out some of his others, but our library didn't have the first in those series in stock, so I decided to wait until I could do them in order. This makes me want to get on it!

Andi said...

I tried some of his other works and didn't get too far... I finally decided that I loved the Precious Ramotswe character, not necessarily the author.