Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Behind the Scenes at the Museum

Set in Yorkshire England, this book follows 4 generations of women through two world wars and concludes in 1992. The story is narrated through the voice of Ruby Lennox, who represents the 4th generation.

Atkinson has a witty, clever writing style and I always enjoy following family histories. There are some plot surprises, some of which I guessed early and some I missed completely, even after all had been revealed. The writing weaves back and forth between the generations so you do have to stay on top of who's who throughout the book, but it does help to keep your interest.

This family is especially dysfunctional--family members have a tendency to "disappear" or die early, and the women have a propensity to attach themselves to lousy men. I think I would have enjoyed this book a little more if I were 20 to 30 years older, the same age the narrator, but I definitely enjoyed the quirkiness and British humor.

No comments: