Thursday, June 14, 2012

Seedfolks

SeedfolksSeedfolks by Paul Fleischman

On the library stacks: YA Fiction
AR Reading Level: 4.3
Awards: NCTE Notable Children's Books in the Language Arts; Jane Addams Book Award/Honor Books; SLJ Best Book; Golden Kite Award/Honor Book
Appropriate for: Grades 6+

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Seedfolks is the story of a patch of land between buildings in a rundown section of Cleveland. One day a young girl decides to plant beans there. Eventually others notice, the lot is cleaned up, and a community garden blooms. So many people from all ages and races are drawn to the garden, each person creating something important and unique to them. Together they create beauty out of ugliness.

This book is told in 13 different voices, each with their own chapter. It's a slim novel easily read in an hour or so. It's a book that I think would work well in a classroom setting as there are some early teen-appropriate issues to discuss.

I thought this was a nice book, but I wasn't wowed like I was hoping. I know it wasn't the author's point, but I think I wanted more depth and perhaps resolution for the characters. However, I especially enjoyed reading the end of the book where Fleischman discusses his inspiration for the novel.

Also reviewed by: Capricious Reader ~ Becky's Book Reviews
Source: Library

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I really love that cover - is the book illustrated? I like the story too - hopefully it will inspire someone.

Tricia said...

The beginning of each chapter has an illustration on it, reminiscent of what is on the cover.