Monday, May 7, 2012

The Beekeeper's Apprentice

The Beekeeper's Apprentice (Mary Russell, #1)The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King

AR Reading Level: 7.0
On the library stacks: Adult Mystery
Series: Book 1 of 11 (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes)

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Mary Russell is a teenage girl who lives with her Aunt near the Sussex Downs. One day as she is ambling along, she quite literally runs into Sherlock Holmes, now (mostly) retired. The two strike up an unlikely friendship and Mary becomes Sherlock's protege.

I should admit this is the second time I've tried to read this book. My last attempt was about 7 years ago and just couldn't get into it. However, I was determined this time and once I got past the first 70 pages and got into the mystery parts of the book, I did quite enjoy myself. I think Mary seemed a little too modern for 1915 and I'm not 100% sold on the chess and beekeeping analogies. But I'm a sucker for mysteries and I liked how this one unfolded.

I should probably NOT admit that I've never read any original Arthur Conan Doyle. But this book has definitely intrigued me enough to possibly give it a whirl. I am definitely glad I read this book before I started watching Sherlock (LOVE!) because I did at least have a context for the characters and their personalities.

Also reviewed by: Puss Reboots ~ Book Nut ~ cucullus non facit monachum ~ Your link here?
Source: BookMooch

1 comment:

Corinne said...

Didn't love this. It just didn't really grab me - I finished it, so I didn't HATE it, but I think it moved too slow for me.