Friday, January 7, 2011

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt

Saving CeeCee HoneycuttSaving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman 

On the library stacks: Adult fiction

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

CeeCee is a 12-year old girl living in Ohio with her mom. Her dad is a traveling salesman and is rarely seen at home. During the past few years, CeeCee's mom has been exhibiting disturbing signs of psychosis. CeeCee has been left alone to deal with it all--the embarrassment and the mess, the sadness and the loneliness.

In a tragic accident, CeeCee's mom dies and she is sent to live with her Great-Aunt Tootie in Savannah, Georgia. CeeCee learns all about Southern wit, wisdom, beauty and hospitality from the wonderful women who come into her life.

This is a great book for fans of Southern women's literature. The city of Savannah is a character in itself and I loved the descriptions of the flowers, trees, food, and architecture. I didn't love how all the men in the book were either marginalized or make to look like complete jerks. But if you like a good "girl power" book, this one will fit the bill nicely.

Also reviewed by:  Confessions of a Book Habitue ~ Lesa's Book Critiques ~ StephtheBookworm ~ Peeking Between the Pages ~ Savvy Verse & Wit ~ Diary of an Eccentric ~ Beth Fish Reads ~ The Eclectic Reader  ~ Alaine - Queen of Happy Endings ~ Missy's Book Nook ~ Bermudaonion's Weblog ~ Your link here?

Source: Purchased

10 comments:

Serena said...

I really enjoyed this book last year and it made my best of list.

bermudaonion said...

This was one of my favorite books of 2009! I just loved Oletta!

StephTheBookworm said...

This is one of my favorite books! :D

Lesa said...

Like the others, this was one of my favorite books. Yes, the male characters may not have been great, but the female characters were wonderful! It was a wonderful sisterhood book.

Lesa - www.lesasbookcritiques.blogspot.com

Alyce said...

I think I'm going to check this one out from the library. I've read so many positive reviews of this book, but I'm not sure how much I'd like it.

Tricia said...

@ Bermuda: I agree. I loved Oletta. She was so real and down to earth.

@ Lesa: Sisterhood: that's the perfect word for it.

@ Alyce: Library is a good choice. I bought it because it's my book club book this month and now I'm going to pass it around. :)

Gerbera Daisy Diaries said...

Why have I avoided this book? Because I see it everywhere?

Anna said...

I loved this book, and I made my "best of 2010" list. I never really thought about the portrayal of men in the book, but you're right that there isn't any strong male character. I didn't mind that, though.

Veens said...

fans of Southern women's literature" - ME ME ME!!

I know i will enjoy this. I just need to get my hands on it. :)

Kim said...

I hadn't seen a review of this book yet (I know, where have I been?) so I'm glad to get your take on it. I had it checked out from the library at one point but didn't get to it. I'll have to make a better effort next time. I like "girl power" books.