Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The View from Saturday

The View From Saturday (Newbery Medal Book)The View From Saturday by E.L. Konigsburg

AR Reading Level: 5.9
On the library stacks: Children's fiction
Awards: SLJ Best Book; Newbery Medal; State Award; ALA Notable/Best Books
Recommended for: Grades 4+

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is the story of four sixth-graders who become unlikely friends. During the summer, Noah goes to Florida to visit his grandparents and he ends up as the best man at the wedding of Nadia's grandfather and Ethan's grandmother. Despite their connections, they are actually brought together by Julian, a boy from India who moves into town when his dad purchases a bed and breakfast. With the help of their teacher, a paraplegic named Mrs. Olinski, the four kids become a winning Academic Bowl team.

This is a really charming story that explores themes of teamwork, change, forgiveness, bullying and perseverance. There are moments that are really funny and there are moments that are really heart-breaking. But I loved that the characters learned how to accept what they could not change and moved forward in positive ways that allowed for personal growth.

As an added bonus, I loved the answers to the Bowl questions at the back of the book!

Also reviewed by: Booking MamaSo Many Books, So Little Time

Book 50 of 50 for the RYOB Challenge
Source: Purchased

6 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Both the story and the characters sound fantastic!

Shelley said...

I loved this book when I read it a few years ago, but I wondered if kids would like it. I have yet to find out, I just know my own children won't even give it a try.

Veens said...

Sounds like a great read.

Julie P. said...

I loved this book on so many levels and it really was a great discussion book for kids.

alisonwonderland said...

I liked this one too; my review from 2007 is here. I think my daughters (now 20yo and 14yo) also both enjoyed it when they read it several years ago (before I read it).

Kathleen said...

I love this author and know I would love this book. I'm happy that the answers are at the back of the book...nice feature!