Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Murder on the Orient Express

Murder on the Orient ExpressMurder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

AR Reading Level: 6.2
On the library stacks: Adult Mystery Fiction
Series: One of many Hercule Poirot novels
Recommended for: Grades 9+

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

So this is where I admit that I don't think I have ever read an Agatha Christie novel. I don't really understand why since I was raised on a steady diet of Nancy Drew. And despite spending many of my teenage years in England watching many TV adaptations, I do believe this is my first exposure to the written word.

Hercule Poirot is a Belgian detective on his way from Istanbul back to England in the dead of winter. The train is unusually full for the time of year and a wide variety of people are on board, both in terms of nationalities and social classes. In the middle of the night, the train stops unexpectedly when it runs into a huge snowdrift. A few hours later, a passenger is found murdered. Hercule is given the task of solving the crime, and assumes that the murderer is still on board.

Reading this was so fun and is perfect for this time of year. I don't like my books too scary or spooky, but the mystery kept me riveted. I loved how it all ended and I was pleased that I didn't see the twist coming. I will definitely be reading more of the adventures of Hercule in the future.

Also reviewed by: Piling on the Books ~ Reviews by Lola ~ A Book a Day ~ The Library Ladder ~ A Reader's Journal ~ Your link here? 

Book 96 of 100 for the 100+ Reading Challenge
Source: Library

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I've never read any of Agatha Christie's work either. When I admitted that to my mother recently, she was shocked.

Veens said...

I am not sure if I ever read her either, and I like you fed on Drew too! Can't understand myself how it could have happened!!

I recently read one myself "body in the Library" and enjoyed it too///
U must try it too :)

Stephanie said...

I thought this one was fun too! It is the only Christie I have read so far.