Monday, June 14, 2010

Marcelo in the Real World

Marcelo In The Real World Marcelo In The Real World by Francisco X. Stork

AR Reading Level: 4.6
On the library stacks: YA Fiction
Recommended for: Grades 9+
Awards: Publishers Weekly Best Book; VOYA: The Perfect Tens; YALSA Top Ten; New York Times Best Books; SLJ Best Book; Smithsonian's Notable Book; Schneider Family Award; Horn Book Fanfare


My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars

Marcelo is a 17-year old with a high-functioning form of autism. His dad has decided that he needs to learn about the "real world" so he forces him to spend the summer working in the mail room at his law firm. If he succeeds in the real world, Marcelo can stay at his private school where he enjoys working with the ponies. But if he fails, he is going to Oak Ridge High for his senior year for sure.

There is so much about this book to love. It is really a page-turner, despite the fact that it really is a character-driven novel. We see life from Marcelo's view and we watch how he grows. I felt his confusion, his conflicting emotions, and those moments when he finds clarity and purpose. I loved the discussions of remembering, faith, morality, beauty and internal music. There were whole pages that I read multiple times because I wanted to let myself soak in the impact of the thoughts and words.

I sort of wish that the book had been longer. There were plot points that kind of got dropped, and I thought the ending was too rushed. But, this book is amazing in a quiet and thoughtful way.

Also reviewed by: Novels Now ~ Tales of a Capricious Reader ~ Regular Rumination ~ Book Addiction ~ Stark Raving Bibliophile ~ Bending Bookshelf ~ Becky's Book Reviews

Did I miss yours?

Book 54 of 100 for the 100+ Reading Challenge, Book 26 of 50 for the YA Reading Challenge, Book 33 of 50 for the New Author Challenge, Book 4 of 8 for the Orbis Terrarum Challenge (Mexico), Book 15 of 25 for the Support Your Local Library Challenge

Source: Library

6 comments:

Paige said...

All these great books to add to my queue for the summer. Thanks!

alisonwonderland said...

I've had this on my to-read list for a little while. I'm even more eager to get to it now. Great review!

Kathleen said...

I've not heard of this one before but it sounds really good.

Anonymous said...

I have so much love for this book it's not even funny! I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

bermudaonion said...

This book has been on my wish list far too long - I need to get my hands on a copy!

Corinne said...

Why was this not already on my list? It is now :)