Sunday, April 18, 2010

Beauty

Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley

Awards: Phoenix Award/Honor; ALA Notable/Best Books

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The only other Robin McKinley I've read is Rose Daughter.  Everyone told me this one was better, but I think this was a case where high expectations worked against me. I liked this book--I even liked it a lot--but after Rose Daughter I wasn't expecting quite so much of the Disney version of Beauty and the Beast. I think my favorite character in this book was Ger, probably because he was someone new to me and I had no preconceived expectations for him.

Overall, the first half of the book was too slow and the last half went by way too fast. I wanted a lot more castle time, getting to know the Beast. But I'm glad I finally read this one! It's very enjoyable and I'm only sorry that I didn't read it earlier.

Also reviewed by:
Did I miss yours? 

Book 32 of 100 for the 100+ Reading Challenge, Book 14 of 50 for the RYOB Challenge, Book 18 of 50 for the YA Reading Challenge, Book 3 for the Once Upon a Time Challenge, Book 18 of 25 for the MG Reading Challenge

Source: BookMooch

12 comments:

bermudaonion said...

My sister would probably like this, but the fairy tale re-tellings really haven't caught my fancy.

Jaz said...

I fell in love with this book long before Disney's Beauty and the Beast ever came out. I think she wrote it in '78 -- I always thought Disney gleaned from her creativity. Isn't it interesting how different her two Beauty retellings are?

Tricia said...

Jaz-I think Disney definitely borrowed from her too!

Emilee said...

I love both Beauty and Rose Daughter, though Rose Daughter is my favorite. It's a much more thought provoking version of Beauty and the Beast.

alisonwonderland said...

I was going to say what Jaz said. :)

I also fell in love with this book long ago. I haven't read Rose Daughter, but I guess I ought to, so I can compare it with Beauty.

Melissa said...

And now I have to convince you to read The Blue Sword and Hero and the Crown...

Jaz said...

Yes! The Blue Sword is my very favorite McKinley.

Nina said...

Oooh, a retelling of Beauty and the Beast sounds good! I hate when it goes to fast or just too slow! The cover is sweet! :)

Tribute Books said...

Sounds delightful, cute cover.

Arielle said...

Good Morning Tricia,

My name is Arielle and I work with a small publicity company that partners with Christian authors trying to get their books off the ground. I read through many blogs to find the best possible readers for our authors. I am very eager to add you to my list of reviewers. I'd like to send you a pdf. list of our newest releases, if this is something you'd be interested in please let me know. I hope to be hearing from you soon.

Arielle Roper
arielle@bringitoncomunications.com
Bring It On! communications
www.BringItOncommunications.com

p.s. I loved that book, been reading it for years :)

Heather said...

So many have raved about this book, I'm afraid it will be hard not to be disappointed by it when I finally do read it. Of that I'll wish I'd read it as a teenager when I would have adored it. Maybe if I try to set my expectations low... :) I let you know when I get around to it!

Anonymous said...

This was my first "grown up" book. I read it as a kid and fell in love with Robin McKinley. I fell in love with that enchanted castle and wanted more, too. ROSE DAUGHTER, sigh. Such a wonderful way to spend time with a book.