Monday, March 2, 2009

Orbis Terrarum 2009

Yay!  Orbis Terrarum started yesterday!


Main Challenge Rules:
*The Orbis Terrarum Challenge begins March 1 2009(you are welcome to join later) Through the end of 2009.
*For the challenge each reader is to choose 10 books (for the 10 months).
*Each book must from a different country, I have decided to go by the country of origin of the author, or the country he/she lives in is fine as well.
*You don't have to have a list, that means you can change your mind at any time. As long as there are 10 from 10 different countries, written by 10 different authors: Anything goes.

Book possibilities:
  1. Banker to the Poor: Micro-Lending and the Battle Against World Povertyby Muhammad Yunus (Bangladesh)
  2. The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay (South Africa)
  3. Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe (Nigeria)
  4. Wizard of the Crow by Ngugi wa Thiong'o (Kenya)
  5. The Twentieth Wife by Indu Sundaresan (India)
  6. Random Passage by Bernice Morgan (Canada)
  7. Silence by Shusake Endo (Japan)
  8. Night by Elie Wiesel (Germany)
  9. Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson (Norway)
  10. Hanna's Daughters by Marianne Fredriksson (Sweden)

6 comments:

Emilia said...

Have you read "The Housekeeper and the Professor" by Yoko Ogawa yet?

I'm not done yet, but so far I would say that it is elegent in words and numbers.

Rae said...

What a wonderful challenge! Very exciting!!!

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

I think I will read Night too! I read Things Fall Apart a couple years back and LOVED it.

Welcome to this years challenge, I hope you have fun :) Make sure to keep an eye on the OT blog as there will be more interaction and fun this year!

enjoy!

Amy said...

night is one of my faves. so horifyying yet unforgetable.
-amy

Becca said...

The book Silence is one of my favorites--it is intense and powerful. Wizard of the Crow is *definitely* worth reading, and goes very well (same style) as Ben Okri. Good luck!!! :)

Corinne said...

I'm so glad you're joining :) The more places I can see you around the web, the better!