Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Because of Winn-Dixie

Because of Winn-Dixie Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

Book 5 of 100 for the 100+ Reading Challenge
Book 9 of 10 for the Book Awards Reading Challenge

Awards: BCCB Blue Ribbon Book; NCTE Notable Children's Books in the Language Arts; Newbery Honor; Parent's Choice Award/Honor Book; SLJ Best Book; Josette Frank Children's Book Award; State Award; Smithsonian's Notable Book; Book Sense Book of the Year Award/Honorees; Publishers Weekly Best Book; Young Reader's Choice Award/Nominee; ABC (Assoc. of Booksellers for Children) Choice Award; ALA Notable/Best Books; Judy Lopez Memorial Award for Children's Literatur
e


rating: 4 of 5 stars

Opal is a lonely 10-year old who has just moved to a small Florida town where her father is a preacher. She misses her mother desperately, although she left when Opal was only three. However, Opal's sad summer begins to change when she takes in a stray dog that she names Winn-Dixie.

Overall, this is a sweet, somewhat melancholy, touching book about making friends.

Recommended for girls ages 8+.
(This is another Battle of the Books selection.)

Also reviewed by:
P.S. I haven't seen the movie. Should I?

6 comments:

Tasha said...

I read The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane last year and cried and cried. I don't know if Because of Winn Dixie is this way, but I found Edward Tulane and The Tale of Despereaux to be a bit dark in their melancholy.

Tricia said...

I haven't read Edward Tulane, but this isn't dark like Tale of Despereaux. When I need another good cry, I'll pick up Edward Tulane!

Anonymous said...

I keep meaning to pick this one up because I love stories with animals.

Ladytink_534 said...

I still haven't read this! I loved the movie though.

Anonymous said...

Personally, I loved this book. Did you happen to catch the movie? I was too afraid it wouldn't capture the book, so I didn't bother.

tinylittlelibrarian said...

I love this one, so sweet! I didn't catch the movie, either, because as soon as I saw the commercial for it where they made the dog smile with CGI, I knew it was going to suck!! :)