Saturday, December 27, 2008

The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book is one of my definite favorites this year. It is an intense page-turner that will keep you glued to your seat. I would have read it in one sitting, but I was on a road trip and it was my turn to drive! 

The Hunger Games is a dystopian novel set in Panem, what used to be North America. The Panem government demonstrates its absolute power and authority every year when two young adults, aged 12 to 18, are chosen from each of the 12 districts to compete to the death on national television.

I'm only setting the stage because I don't want to give anything away. But, the Panem society has enormous parallels to our own reality-television image-fixated culture. I know I'll be mulling this book over in my head for a long time. Its themes of survival while overcoming obstacles and oppression and learning to love and trust under the most trying circumstances are perfectly blended.

This book is at times uncomfortably raw, but for me that's what makes it so great. This is the first book in a projected trilogy and I will be in line to get the next one as soon as it hits the shelves. Highly recommended.

Also reviewed by:

13 comments:

Chantele Sedgwick said...

I have this on my to read list! I have heard such good things about it!

Suey said...

Great review. I have to start thinking what I what to say about it too without giving too much away. It reminded me totally of the show Survivor with a lot more at stake than a mere million dollars.

alisonwonderland said...

i'm definitely reading this one in 2009! thanks for the recommendation.

Rae said...

Sounds intense! I might step out of my comfort zone and give this a try.

Tasha said...

I didn't take to this as much as many readers, but I was intrigued by the Capitol. I want to know more about the people there, how they got there, whether they have children and how they would react if forced into a situation like the Games.

Serena said...

Sounds like a great read.

Heather said...

I was just reading Stephen King's review of this yesterday! I really want to read it soon, I actually just put it on hold at the library!

SciFiGuy said...

This really is a terrific book for all ages. Thanks for the link.

Corinne said...

Of course, I haven't read a word, even of anyone's comments. I want a CLEAN SLATE but I saw your 5 out of 5 and I am STOKED - but I'm STILL sixth in line at my library!!!!

Anonymous said...

This sounds like something my son and hubby would love. Thanks for the review.

Rae said...

The library just e-mailed me and said this book is ready for pick-up. I'll let you know what I think......

Booklogged said...

Wow, that's a high recommendation. I like to read a book that keeps me thinking about it.

Cheryl Vanatti said...

Just wanted to let you know that I've linked to your review here: Random Wonder